The two-dimensional benchmark test, also called the “IEA 2D test case”, was defined in 1990 to be used in the IEA Annex 20 work, but a significant number of papers have used this geometry in other CFD work.
We believe that it is attractive to a new user to stick to a geometry used by a number of other researchers. It is possible to compare the results with other authors’ results (other turbulence models, other numerical schemes, etc.). The basic knowledge behind the benchmark test has thus expanded during the years and made the test case more useful.
The benchmark test
- Brechnung der Luftbewegung in einem zwangsbelüfteten Raum (Peter V. Nielsen, 1973)
- Prediction of Temperature and Velocity distribution in an air conditioned room (Peter V. Nielsen, 1974)
- Moisture Transfer in Air Conditioned Rooms and Cold Stores (Peter V. Nielsen, 1974A)
- Die Berechnung von Raumströmungen (Peter V. Nielsen, 1975)
- Contaminant distribution in industrial areas with forced ventilation and two-dimensional flow (Peter V. Nielsen, 1981)
- Numerical prediction of flows confined by irregular boundaries, of relevance to room ventilation (F. A. Castro and A. Restivo, 1992)
- Chen, Q. and Z. Jiang, Significant Questions in Predicting Room Air Motion, ASHRAE Transactions, Part 1, 1992, pp. 929-932.
- Influence of turbulence parameters at supply inlet on room air diffusion (M.N.A. Said, D.B. Jouini, E.G. Plett, 1993)
- A Full Multigrid Method Applied to Turbulent Flow using the SIMPLEC Algorithm Together with a Collocated Arrangement (P.Johansson and L. Davidson, 1994)
- Room Air and Contaminent Flow, Evaluation of Computational Methods (A. D. Lemaire, Q. Chen, M. Ewert, J. Heikkinen, C. Inard, A. Moser, P. V. Nielsen and G. Whittle, 1993)
- Prospects for computational fluid dynamics in room air contaminant control (Peter V. Nielsen, 1994)
- Numerical computation of flow and heat transfer in air-conditioned rooms by a special velocity-pressure iteration and multigrid method (M. Rösler and B. Hanel, 1992)
- Said, M.N.A., D.B. Jouini and E.G. Plett, Influence of Turbulence Parameters at Supply Inlet on Room Air Distribution, ASME Winter Annual Meeting, New Orleans, 1993.
- Comparative studies of selected discretization methods for the numerical solution of room air flow problems (T. Skalický, G. Morgenstern, A. Auge, B. Hanel and M. Rösler, 1992)
- Numerical prediction of buoyant air flow in livestock buildings (K. Svidt, 1993)
- CFD-simulation of personal exposure to contaminant sources in ventilated rooms (H. Brohus, 1997A)
- Chen, Q., Comparison of Different k-ε Models for Indoor Air Flow Computations, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B, 28: 353-369, 1995.
- Chen, Q., Prediction of Room Air Motions by Reynolds-Stress Models, Building and Environment, Vol. 3.1, No 3, pp. 233-244, 1996.
- Simplified Method for Indoor Airflow Simulation (Qingyan Chen and Weiran Xu, 1997)
- Large Eddy simulations of the flow in a three-dimensional ventilated room (L. Davidson and P. V. Nielsen, 1996)
- Part 1, Implementation of a large Eddy simulation method applied to recirculating flow in a ventilated room (L. Davidson, 1996)
- Part 2, Implementation of a large Eddy simulation method applied to recirculating flow in a ventilated room (L. Davidson, 1996)
- Numerical study of the influence of inlet boundary conditions on the air movement in a ventilated enclosure (P. Joubert, A. Sandu, C. Béghein and F. Allard, 1996)
- P.V. Nielsen, The Selection of Turbulence Models for Prediction of Room Airflow. ASHRAE Transactions. – 1998; Vol. 104, Part 1B. – pp. 1119- 1127. – ISSN: 0001-2505.
- Performance of two-equation turbulence models for numerical simulation of ventilation flows (S. Peng, L. Davidson and S. Holmberg, 1996)
- A modified low-Reynolds-number k-w model for recirculating flows (S. Peng, L. Davidson and S. Holmberg, 1997)
- The two-equation turbulence k-w model applied to circulating ventilation flows (S. Peng, L. Davidson and S. Holmberg, 1996)
- Evaporation controlled emission in ventilated room (C. Topp, P.V. Nielsen and P. Heiselberg, 1997)
- Collignan, B. and J. Ribéron, A Numerical Study on Pollutant Removal Effectiveness of a Room, Air Distribution in Rooms, (ROOMVENT 2000), Elsevier 2000.
- Zonal model based on airflow partitioning (S. Guernouti, M. Musy, L. Mora and G. Hégron, 2004)
- Mora, L., A. J. Gadgil and E. Wurtz, Comparing Zonal and CFD Model Predictions of Isothermal Indoor Airflows to Experimental Data, Indoor Air 2003; 13; 77-85.
- Peng, S.-H. and L. Davidson, The Potential of Large Eddy Simulation Techniques for Modelling Indoor Air Flows, Air Distribution in Rooms, (ROOMVENT 2000), Elsevier 2000.
- MODELING CHEMICAL REACTIONS IN THE INDOOR ENVIRONMENT BY CFD (D. N. Sørensen, C. J. Weschler, 2002)
- Sørensen, D.N. and C.J. Weschler, Model-Gas Phase Reactions in Indoor Environments Using Computational Fluid Dynamics, Atmospheric Environment 36 (2002) 9-18.
- Teshome, E. J. and F. Haghighat, Zonal Models for Indoor Air Flow – A Critical Review, The International Journal of Ventilation, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 119-129, 2004.
- C. Topp, P. V. Nielsen and P. Heiselberg, Influence of Local Airflow on the Pollutant Emission from Indoor Building Surfaces. Indoor Air 2001; pp. 162-170.
- Comparison of Turbulence Models for Numerical Calculation of Airflow in an annex 20 Room (L. Voight, 2000)
- Numerical analysis of particle dispersion in indoor air using Lagrangian method (Z. Zhang and Q. Chen, 2004)
- CFD for simulating air distribution in buildings: the state of the art, challenges, and opportunities (Q. Chen, 2009)
- Comparison of different subgrid turbulence models and boundary conditions for large-Eddy-simulations of room air flows (D. Müller andL. Davidson, 2000)
- Macroscopic and microscopic analysis of zonal models ( E. J. Teshome and F. Haghighat, 2005)
- Applications of high-resolution schemes based on normalized variable formulation for 3D indoor airflow simulations (K. C. Ng, E. Y. K. Ng, M. Z. Yusoff and T. K. Lim, 2008)
- Validation of the zonal method for the case of isothermal airflow in a rectangular cavity (T. Czelusniak, K. C. Mendonça, and M. O. Abadie, 2009)
- The IEA Annex 20 Two-Dimensional Benchmark Test for CFD Predictions (Peter V. Nielsen, Li Rong and Inés Olmedo, 2010)
- Analysis of the IEA 2D test. 2D, 3D, steady or unsteady airflow? (Inés Olmedo and Peter V. Nielsen, 2010)
- Simulation with different turbulence models in an annex 20 room benchmark test using Ansys CFX 11.0 (L. Rong and P. V. Nielsen, 2008)
- Real-time or faster-than-real-time simulation of airflow in buildings (W. Zou and Q. Chen, 2008)
- Simulation with different turbulence models in an Annex 20 benchmark test using Star-CCM+ (Jérôme Le Dréau, Per Heiselberg, Peter V. Nielsen, 2012)
- A Discussion of Low Reynolds Number Flow for the Two-Dimensional Benchmark Test Case (M. Weng, P. V. Nielsen and L. Liu, 2012)
CFD Benchmark Tests for Indoor Environmental Problems: Part 1 Isothermal/Non-Isothermal Flow in 2D and 3D Room Model (K. Ito, K. Inthavong, etc., 2015)
- Evaluation of mean velocity and mean speed for test ventilated room from RANS and LES CFD modeling (N. Ivanov, et al., 2018)
- Returning characteristics of pollutants for a local domain in the presence of returning and recirculating airflow in indoor environments (Eunsu Lim, Mats Sandberg, Kazuhide Ito, 2021)
IEA ANNEX 20
- Simulation of simple test cases (Q. Chen, 1991)
- Simulation of simple (two-dimensional) test cases (J. Heikkinen and K. Piira, 1991)
- Simulation of simple test cases 2d1, 2d2 (A. D. Lemaire, 1991)
- Simulation of a two-dimensional benchmark test case (M. N. Said, 1991)
- Simulation of simple test case, case 2d1 (M. Skovgaard and P. V. Nielsen, 1991)
- Simulation of simple test cases (N. Vogel and U. Renz, 1991)
- Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Airflow in Livestock Buildings - abstract (J. C. Bennetsen, 1999)
- Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Airflow in Livestock Buildings (H. Brohus, 1997)
- Development and Implementation of Fast Implicit Multigrid Method for Large Eddy Simulations (P. Emvin and L. Davidson, 1997)
- Flow in air conditioned rooms - model experiments and numerical solution of the flow equations (P. V. Nielsen, 1974)
- Zhengen Ren, Enhanced modelling of indoor air flows, temperatures, pollutant, emission and dispersion by nesting sub-zones within a multizone model. PhD Thesis, The Queens University of Belfast, September 2002
- Diffusion and evaporation-controlled emission in ventialted rooms (C. Topp, 1999)
- Navier-Stokes simulations of airflow in rooms and around a human body (L. Voight, 2001)
- Numerical study of three dimensional turbulent flows in a habitat with coupled heat and mass transfer ( S. Luo, 2003)